Saturday 30 December 2017

New Year's Eve - 2001

Happy Saturday!

I can't believe we're so close to the end of the year - all that preparing for the festive season and suddenly it's almost over and time to go back to work! (insert incredibly unhappy face here).

My virus or whatever it was is just about gone and I'm left with the normal snotty nose/sinus blockages and a cough that's more annoying than anything. Let's hope that's also gone by the time I go back to work. I'll already be miserable enough without adding that the mix.

Anyway, back to the story and it's New Year's Eve 2001, and Hermione is trying to get over her disappointment from the previous year (not very successfully).


I hope you enjoy. If so, a comment, review or kudos is much appreciated.

Someone left a comment on yesterday's chapter taking exception to Hermione being left alone while Draco went off (and probably slept) with the blonde. I think what they were trying to say was that the roles should have been reversed - i.e. that Hermione should have gone off with someone and Draco should have been left standing around unhappy.

The reason it didn't happen that way round was, I would have thought, fairly obvious. The whole point of the story (for me, at least) is the frustration Hermione feels when she's thwarted by Ron (who, let's face it has form for this sort of thing - remember the Yule Ball when he completely ruined her evening?) and that wouldn't happen if you reversed the dynamic. 

There isn't anyone to grab and kiss Draco in the same way that Ron can grab Hermione - knowing Ron of old, you almost expect it to happen anyway - and therefore, even if Pansy Parkinson (for instance) came along and grabbed Draco away from Hermione, I don't think it would have the same impact.

If the criticism was that Hermione was left alone while Draco was off shagging around (i.e. he can be a slut and she can't), that can easily be answered by the fact that she wasn't interested in anyone else other than Draco, and it was her choice to go home alone. Hermione would have had plenty of opportunities to pull at the party if she had wanted them (several people tried to kiss her during the chapter), but she didn't want it. Other than that there is absolutely no reason why Hermione couldn't have done exactly as she pleased (which is what she did). 

Anyway, hopefully, that answers why I wrote it the way round I did. I have no objection to Hermione being sexual or even a sexual predator, I have written her that way in other stories, just not this one. 

See you tomorrow for the final chapter of New Year's Eve

Dx

No comments:

Post a Comment